Saturday, December 26, 2009

My second best friend

Since just before I had my hip surgery I found a new second best friend. I am sure that without this new buddy, the time before and after the operation would have been a lot more difficult than it was.

I decided that if I was to have a new second best buddy, then I might as well have one that looked good, or at least stood out from the crowd.

Today I dressed up my buddy for Christmas; not too dressy, but just a little addition to show my appreciation.


A walking stick is a device used by many people to facilitate balancing whilst walking. When used as a mobility or stability aide, canes are generally used in the hand opposite the injury or weakness. This may appear counter-intuitive, but this allows the cane to be used for stability in a way that lets the user shift much of their weight onto the cane and away from their weaker side as they walk.

Some canes, known as "Tippling Canes," or "Tipplers," have hollowed-out compartments near the top where flasks or vials of alcohol could be hidden and sprung out on demand.

It may be used as a defensive or offensive weapon, and may conceal a knife or sword. Walking sticks come in many shapes and sizes, leading to their being collected.

Initially, I had no idea of the versatility of my walking stick; but as we have bonded, I can see that we could do all sorts of things together. Hhmmm …



















You are possibly wondering who my first best friend has been? Well that would be my carer, or Himself as I sometimes refer to him as. He has stepped up to the mark 24/7 over the last 6 weeks (often with my second best friend in his hand) and helped me with tasks that he probably never considered he would need to do.





Thanks first best friend!

4 comments:

Connie said...

I had to use a cane after a bad ankle event in Cairo, and found that a foreigner with a cane is more effective than traffic police and stopping the chaotic traffic when I wanted to cross the road! (it was miraculous). I also have a nice walking stick that I got in Germany. I had never been skiing before, but due to old knee injuries... well, it wasn't smart to try it, but I HAD to. Then, to be able to finish my visit, I desperately needed a 'friend' to lean on! (and with that friend's help, I enjoyed myself hiking/limping all over the place!)

Hugs to your best friend for taking such good care of you - and to you too, just because! Merry Christmas!!!

Veronica said...

Connie
See, there is another use for the cane - traffic control!
AND Merry and safe Christmas to you and yours.
Have you had crazy weather for Christmas? Everywhere else seems to have

the first best friend said...

REMEMBER........the fat lady has not yet sung. There is a long way still to go, although a big distance has been covered already.

When the new hip allows use of a treadmill, we might be nearly there.

Connie said...

No strange weather out here. Highs around 60F, lows around 40F - rather nice actually :D

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!