Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Saga begins

Day 1

Arrived at SportsMed Hospital just before 2pm. Reception staff were amazingly pleasant and checked me in efficiently and quickly. There was a comment in their handout mentioning that the process could be painful, I am sure it was not quite as I read it!

Short wait and I was shown to my room and helped to settle in. This involved “dressing” myself in an elegant pop fastened and tied surgery gown. At least it was baby blue and white stripe!

Then they checked that I was who I said I was and who they thought I was. Next I was painted from waist to knee on the side of my hip to be operated. Even more elegant, and cold.

The wait then began. Time seemed to slow right down.

Finally staff arrived to take me to theatre, so farewells were said and through the door to the theatre anteroom.

Quick introduction to the anesthetist’s assistant and the music headset with calming music and another short wait.

Next came the surgeon, armed with a black marker pen, to mark the correct leg … accompanied by the anesthetist for a short reassuring chat.

But I knew it was all going to be alright when they wheeled me into theatre #3 – my favourite number!

I slid over to the operating table and the anesthetist and his assistant went to work. A question from me “what time is it?” as I couldn’t see a clock. The answer “5.15” and that was it; lights out …….

Wake up in recovery, voices from a long way off, calling my name. Yep, I’m here, not nauseous, not fuzzy, feeling very good, but not on the ball enough to remember to ask what time it was. Dash!


I was looking for a cartoon ... I had found one, some time ago, which, at the time, I thought appropriate. However, after dealing with all the staff, and experiencing their professionalism and care, it no longer seemed at all appropriate.

So the following cartoon has no connection to My Team.



No comments: