Friday, November 20, 2009

Wheelies … but it definitely ain’t hooning

Day 3


Day 2 might have been standing, but day 3 is moving on down the road!

Did you perhaps think that walking frames were only meant to be used by elderly people tottering carefully around nursing homes? I have a new found respect for those people. I must admit that the device was not something that I had considered would become my new best buddy. But, then I guess one would have to consider that a mushroom may need all the help it could to get moving.











Getting ones legs over the edge of the bed, while, at the same time, remembering to keep the body angle right, is reasonably difficult for the first time after hip surgery. Thank God for that monkey bar up there and the weight training I had got back into a while back to build up strength in the only part of my body which was (sort of) willing to get out there and do something. Push ups off the bench and bar bells must have helped. Next, get the order of action correct in your brain and then, just do it. Grab the walking frame with both (sweaty) hands and “ladies, start your engines!”

That first step took more faith than standing up the first time, but once it had been accomplished, the next several were easier. Freedom again! No longer locked to the bed and that dreaded hospital appliance – the bedpan. I will say no more on that subject!

There were no marathons to be run today, just short forays into the great unknown, with a return to base and rest, exercises, sustenance, exercises, rest, and on it goes.

No comments: